If you require a copy of an entry you can either call in or write to us at:
The Register Office
26 High Street
All certificates issued from a current register on the day of registration are £4.00. Subsequent certificates issued from the current register are £7.00
Certificates issued from a full register (in the Superintendent Registrar's custody) are:
- Short Birth Certificate: £10.00
- Standard Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates : £10.00
- Standard Certificate issued the same day/card payment : £13.00 (ordered before 12 noon)
- Five year search of indexes : £5.00 plus cost of certificate
- Ten year search of indexes : £10.00 plus cost of certificate
- General search made by applicant : £18.00
Cheques and postal orders to be made payable to 'Merthyr Tydfil C.B.C.'. Please send a stamped addressed envelope with all applications.
Tracing family history is exciting and rewarding but can be time consuming and complicated.
The first step is to gather all the information you can from relatives. Any documents such as wills, birth, death and marriage certificates, family bibles and newspaper cuttings. Draw up a basic family tree to give you an idea of the gaps you will need to fill. Then work backwards using information already known about relatives.
Civil registration of births, deaths and marriages started on 1 July 1837 and so our records go back to then.
Please note we do not hold records of divorces.
The minimum information we require to start a trace on any entry is the registration district, a year and a name. However the more information you supply the higher the odds are of us finding the entry.