Merthyr Tydfil Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) was established in October 2006 as required by Children Act 2004.
Each Local Authority is required to set up a board for the purposes of “safeguarding and promoting the welfare” of children and young people in Merthyr Tydfil County Borough.
The “Board” consists of seven partner organisations and can invite additional members onto the board. The partner organisations are:-
- The Local Authority (includes Children’s Services, Education and Housing)
- The Local Health Board
- Youth Offending Service
- Prison or Secure Training Centre (if in the area)
The Merthyr LSCB also includes members from CAFCASS (Child and Family Court Advisory Service), Adult Services and CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).
The LSCB has several specific sub groups that address certain issues:-
- Policy, Procedure and Practice Sub group
- Quality Assurance and Audit
- Training (focus on “safeguarding”) and Public Relations
The LSCB meets every 8 weeks and the sub groups will meet at least once between meetings. The LSCB has its own Annual Business Plan that includes a work programme for the year.
The Merthyr Tydfil Local Safeguarding Board has links to South Wales Child Protection Forum and the All Wales Procedures Review Group. The latter has produced all Wales Child Protection Procedures and all Wales Protocols.
Serious Case Review Panel
Executive Summaries for the last three Serious Case Review's can be found in the Document Links section to the right of this page.
The purpose of a Serious Case Reviews (SCR) is defined in Safeguarding Children: Working Together under the Children Act (2004) as being to identify steps that might be taken to prevent a similar death or harm occurring and in so doing to:
- Establish whether there are lessons to be learned from the case about the way in which local professionals and agencies work together to safeguard children.
- Identify clearly what those lessons are, how they will be acted upon, and what is expected to change as a result; and as a consequence;
- Improve inter-agency working and better safeguard children;
- Identify examples of good practice.
Policies and Procedures
All Policies and Procedures documents can be found in the list below:
South Wales Child Protection Forum
Merthyr Tydfil LSCB
Further Information Leaflets