Rural Development Plan (RDP) 2014 - 2020
The Rural Development Plan for Wales is part of a European Union Programme to promote the economic regeneration of rural areas.
The RDP LEADER Programme uses innovative methods to assist communities, helping to boost the local economy by developing basic services, village enhancement, improving the local environment and promoting sustainability and the Welsh language.
The future programme is awaiting approval from Welsh Government, but if successful the programme will be delivered jointly with Rhondda Cynon Taff. The areas covering the future programme deemed eligible as rural in Merthyr Tydfil and RCT are Bedlinog, Cyfarthfa, Maerdy, Merthyr Vale, Rhigos, Vaynor, Ynys-y-Bwl with Plymouth as a Service Centre and Treharris as a Host ward.
The programme will be administered by Merthyr Tydfil and the Rural Action Cwm Taf Local Action Group will ensure the programme delivers innovation projects identified as being most needed within rural communities.
The themes for the future programme are:
- Adding value to Local Identity & Natural and Cultural Resources
- Facilitating pre-commercial development, business partnerships and short supply chains
- Exploring new ways of providing non-statutory services
- Renewable energy at a community level
- Exploitation of digital technology
In 2015, the Welsh Government will also be launching a Rural Community Development Fund which groups/enterprises and organisations may apply for.
If you require any further information on the future Rural Programme, or would like to know how to be involved in the consultation process please contact the Rural Co-ordinator:
Rural Action Programme Coordinator – (01685) 727089
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Views Count
We are currently undertaking an information gathering exercise across the joint rural area to find out what the community need is and what issues may need addressing which fall under the above themes.
To contribute your views, please complete the below online survey.
Rural Action Cwm Taf Survey
Rural Development Plan (RDP) 2007-2013
Merthyr Tydfil was involved in the most recent Rural Development Plan Programme.
There were three main objectives stemming from the Merthyr Local Development Strategy and all projects that were approved fit within at least one of the key objectives:
- Welsh Heritage and Culture
- Production of Local Food, Crafts and Services
- Tourism and Outdoor Activity
The projects approved were:
- Project Cynnal - ended June 2014 which focused on business growth, environmental best practice, resource efficiency and ICT
- Preserving Merthyr's Heritage - ended June 2014 which aimed to protect, enhance and promote the heritage and landscape of the Rural wards of Merthyr Tydfil
- Rural Grant Scheme - ended December 2013 which sought to build capacity within the eligible Rural wards in Merthyr Tydfil for local communities, encouraging projects that sustain the Rural community