This discretionary grant may be available where a Category 1 Hazard has been identified by an appropriate officer of the Council. The scope of works will be assessed using the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS), and must address the significant hazards within the dwelling.
Maximum grant available is £25,000 including ancillary fees.
All applicants for Improvement Grants are subject to a test of resources (means test).
- Dwelling must have at least one Category 1 Hazard
- Dwelling must be over 20 years old
- An applicant must be aged 60 years or over; or be aged 18-60yrs and be ‘vulnerable’ or ‘disabled’.
- The applicant(s) must be an owner-occupier
- Owner-occupiers must be a freeholder or a leaseholder with at least five years of the lease remaining
- The subject dwelling must be their sole or main residence.
- The applicant must have total savings/capital of less than £16,000.
Terms & Conditions
- Applicant must live in the property for a minimum period of 5 years, post completion
- Grant is registered as a local land charge for the 5 year grant condition period
- Any breach of condition will result in grant repayment, in line with the Council’s debt recovery procedures
How to Apply
Please contact the Housing Renewal Team the number below.
(Please note funding has not been identified for this grant type for 2011- 2014).