Online, Saves Time

Local Land Charges Search

The Local Land Charge service provides information to people buying or carrying out transactions on land or property in Merthyr Tydfil. The Local Land Charges section investigates whether there are any legal restrictions which may affect the property, and will bring all the information together in the form of an Official Local Authority search.

Who can request a full Official Local Land Charges search?

Search requests are usually received from the solicitor or licensed conveyancer acting for the purchaser of a property but anyone can request a search by submitting the correct forms. These forms - LLC1 and CON29 - are available from legal stationers.

What is a full Official Local Authority Search?

A full Local Authority Search consists of two parts and an Optional Form for additional enquiries:

  • LLC1 deals with all the registrable charges, for example Tree Preservation Orders, improvement grants, Listed Buildings and Planning Agreements.
  • CON29R deals with issues such as road schemes, the planning history of the property and environmental matters.
  • CON29O is an optional form dealing with additional enquiries that may relate specifically to the land/property being searched. 
How much does a full Official Local Authority Search cost?

                                           Residential      Commercial

  • LLC1                          £6                   £6 
  • CON29R                      
  • Local Land Charges     £12                 £12
  • Building Control          £10                 £12
  • Environmental Health  £6                   £6
  • Highways                   £14                 £14
  • Planning                     £17                 £19
  • Rights of Way             £9                   £9
  • Total                          £74                 £78                          
  • CON29O OPTIONAL ENQUIRIES £10 Per Enquiry - excludes enquiry 22 which is £15
Can I order individual enquiries from the CON29R?

No - a CON29R cannot be split into individual enquiries - a full submission must be made along with the appropriate fee.

Do you charge VAT on CON29Rs?

Yes - as from 9 January 2017, we have been advised by HMRC that VAT should be applied to all CON29R requests.  The fees including VAT will be:

                                           Residential       Commercial 

  • LLC1                          £6 (no VAT)      £6 (no VAT)
  • CON29R                    
  • Local Land Charges     £14.40             £14.40
  • Building Control          £12                  £14.40
  • Environmental Health  £7.20               £7.20
  • Highways                   £16.80             £16.80
  • Planning                     £20.40             £22.80
  • Rights of Way             £10.80             £10.80
  • Total                          £87.60            £92.40   
  • CON29O                     £12 (4 - 21)     £18 (22)      
How long will it take to process my search?

We aim to return searches within three days but during very busy periods, a search may take a little longer.  We will do our best to inform you if a delay is expected.

How many forms do I need to submit?

Just one LLC1 form and one CON29R (and one CON29O if applicable). Duplicates are not required.

Do I need to send any plans of the property?

Yes - we require an A4 plan with the property to be searched, clearly outlined.

Can I submit forms via email?

Yes - this is a convenient method of submission that speeds up the process and reduces turnaround time.

Please send an LLC1, CON29 and plan to   
Send the cheque in the post to:

Local Land Charges
Unit 5
Triangle Business Park
Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 4TQ

The completed search will be sent back to the email address indicated on the forms.

If you prefer to arrange to pay via bank transfer, please state this in your communication and details will be sent to you.

Can I order searches online?

You can send searches to us online through one of the two electronic search portals which provide this service - National Land Information Service (NLIS) and TM Search Choice. These are companies which provide an electronic service for Local Authority searches and other land and property conveyancing information. Please see the links at the side of this page for further information.

What is a Personal Search?

A Personal Search is an inspection of the Local Land Charges Register carried out independently via a third person (usually a Personal Search Agency). If you wish to carry out a Personal Search of the Local Land Charges Register, please contact   

If you wish to carry out a personal search of registers held elsewhere within the Local Authority, please contact each department individually.
Do you answer drainage enquiries?

No - please contact Welsh Water, Pentwyn Road, Nelson, Treharris, CF46 6LY.
Tel: 0800 052 0145.

Will the road information reply of the CON29 tell me if all the roads abutting my property are adopted?

Our search reply will only refer to the road named in the property address given in Box 'B' of the CON29. If you wish to have information on any other roads that abut your property you will need to name them in Box 'C' and clearly mark them on your search plan.

Do I send my Commons Registration Search to you?

Yes - you will need to supply a CON29 Optional Enquiry form, ticking Enquiry No 22. The fee for this is £15 (excluding VAT).

Can Local Land Charges tell me who owns a certain property or piece of land?

No - you will need to make an application to HM Land Registry, Ty Cwm Tawe, Swansea Enterprise Park, Phoenix Way, Swansea, SA7 9FQ. Tel 0844 892 1111

A-Z of Services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T u V W x Y z