Please share your views on school transport plans
- Categories : Press Release
- 25 Oct 2018
The Council is seeking public opinion on its plans to change the current home to school transport provision for school children across Merthyr Tydfil.
At present, it costs the Authority more than £162,000 a year to transport pupils to schools outside the County Borough, excluding the Welsh medium school Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun.
“The current provision doesn’t align with the school admissions policy, which means Merthyr Tydfil students are travelling to schools outside the County Borough when suitable schools are available within it,” said Cabinet Member for Learning Cllr Lisa Mytton.
Pupils are currently transported to the following schools outside the County Borough: Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun, Lewis School Pengam, Lewis Girls’ Comprehensive School, Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, St John’s Baptist Church in Wales School, Cardinal Newman Roman Catholic School and St Michael’s Roman Catholic Primary School.
A number of options are being considered for the future of the service. These are:
• to keep it as it is - pupils will continue to be transported to their nearest suitable school, providing it is more than two miles (primary) or three miles (secondary) away from home.
• to streamline the service by providing free transport for pupils attending schools within Merthyr Tydfil County Borough only, and to Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun as a Welsh language provider and St John’s Baptist Church in Wales School as a faith provider.
• to streamline the service so free transport is provided for children attending schools within Merthyr Tydfil County Borough only, along with Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun as a Welsh language provider.
Students, parents/carers, schools/colleges, Merthyr Tydfil residents and other stakeholders are being asked to share their views on the options in an extensive consultation exercise including an online questionnaire and a series of drop-in events being held across the county borough.
The consultation period is running from Monday 22 October 2018 to Monday 4 February, 2019, with the following drop-in events:
• Merthyr Tydfil RFC on Tuesday 6 November 2018 from 4pm–6pm
• Treharris Library on Wednesday 21 November 2018 from 4pm–6pm
• Bedlinog RFC on Wednesday 9 January 2019 from 4pm–6pm
All stakeholders will be able to contribute to the consultation online Alternatively paper copies of the consultation can be obtained from email@example.com