Online, Saves Time

Universal Credit is coming to Merthyr Tydfil

  • Categories : Press Release
  • 06 Jun 2018

Universal Credit claims will start in Merthyr Tydfil on 27th June, 2018.

You will need to claim Universal Credit if you are on a low income or out of work, as it replaces: 

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit will include a payment for help with your Housing Costs if you are liable to pay rent for where you live.

However, you will still be able to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent if you:

  • Have 3 or more children
  • Live in temporary, specified or supported accommodation or
  • Are of state pension age

Universal Credit claims are made online. To get ready for this, you must:

  • Have an email address
  • Have a bank account
  • Check the amount of rent that you are liable to pay

For further information, please visit or

Enquiries can also be e-mailed to

Find news posts

You can search our previous posts for items that match your interests

Contact Us


a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z