Love your period, Love your planet
Merthyr Tydfil CBC were allocated funding from the Welsh Governments Period Dignity Grant (PDG) to end period poverty by providing period products free of charge to schools and in the community. Period poverty refers to a lack of access to period products and inadequate awareness about menstruation, typically as a result of financial difficulties. A survey by Action Aid UK in 2022 found that nearly one in eight of those surveyed struggled to buy menstrual products in the last six months. Period poverty can impact attendance at school and work.
Most period products are made from single use plastics. Shockingly, each sanitary pad uses the same amount of plastic as it takes to create 5 carrier bags and even the absorbent part of a tampon not just the applicator also contains plastic. Every year 200,000 tonnes of period product waste is landfilled in the UK and around 4kg of period product waste in generated per household per year. That equates to around 114 tonnes of this waste in Merthyr Tydfil alone!
Reuseable period products can help resolve period poverty and can save the user £8-10 per month which is the typical amount spent during each period. Reuseable products can also help the environment as they are made from more sustainable materials and by switching to reusables, you will reduce the demand for single use plastics. Not only that, reuseable period products are better for you as they don’t contain plastics, and hazardous industrial chemicals such as BPA, dioxins, pesticides, bleach and perfumes which single use products may contain according to campaign for safe cosmetics.
Further information and resources can be found on WEN’s Environmenstrual fact sheet or City to Sea plastic free period campaign.
MTCBC’s waste services team have teamed up with Hey Girls an award winning social enterprise to offer our residents the chance to try reusables for free!* The good news is that Hey Girls products are made from environmentally friendly materials such as sustainable oeko-tex bamboo and 100% organic cotton. Even the packaging they use is biodegradable.
They are better for you, better for your pocket and better for the environment so why not try switching today! Simply fill in the online form and Hey Girls will send them to your door.
*while funding is available
Terms and conditions for ordering reusable period products
- Only one home pack will be allowed per email address.
- To participate, you must live within the boundaries of the County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil.
- To participate, you must be aged 16 or older or your parent or legal guardian can apply for you. If they apply on your behalf, we will use our discretion on how many packs will be allowed for the household.
- From the date you order a pack, it may take six to eight weeks before you receive the pack.
- The scheme will run on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
- The scheme is subject to availability and can be withdrawn at any time.
- Participation in this scheme is considered a ‘one off’ and does not constitute any commitment to future support.
- If we can’t fulfil your order, we will email you within 28 days of you making the order.
To opt out at any time, email email@example.com