Covid 19 latest updates to Merthyr Tydfil Register Office Services
Our offices remain closed to the public, but all services remain accessible online or by phone. Should you have an enquiry we can assist you with, then please contact us on 01685 727333. Please do not travel to the office without having scheduled an appointment beforehand.
To order a certificate of Birth, Death or Marriage:
You are able to order and pay for any certificates online via the following link.
* IMPORTANT: We only hold certificates for Births, Deaths, Marriages or Civil Partnerships which took place within the district of Merthyr Tydfil. If the Birth, Death or Marriage took place within an alternative district then you will need to contact the Register Office that serves that borough.
All certificates will be posted out. Collection of certificates is not available at this time, in order to minimise footfall at the office. If you have a query, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01685 727333 to discuss with a staff member who will do their best to meet your request.
Death Registrations are now being processed in two stages, the first part is a telephone call between the informant and registrar, during this call we will arrange a mutually convenient appointment for you to attend at our offices in order to check and sign the particulars given. If you need to arrange the registration of a death which occurred within the Merthyr Tydfil borough then please contact us on 01685 727333.
We need to be in receipt of all required medical paperwork before we are able to allocate an appointment to register. Should you wish to contact us and leave your contact details in readiness then please feel free to do so, a member of our team will contact you when the relevant paperwork has been received. They will also talk you through the registration process and /or address any queries you may have in the interim.
Death certificates cost £11 each and payment will be taken by card only. The certificates will be handed to you at the second stage of your appointment, when you attend at our office. You will also be handed details on how to use the ‘Tell us Once’ service if you wish to use it. The paperwork required by the Funeral Directors will be emailed to them direct following your telephone appointment.
To Register a baby:
In a bid to keep our staff and customers safe we have made permanent changes in order to minimise the time spent with customers on a face-to-face basis. For this reason, birth registrations are still currently being done in a two-step process:
Part 1: Please complete the online form for a birth registration appointment.
Please ensure that you complete the form fully and accurately to ensure that the details are recorded correctly, we will review your form and call you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment. Please note, we will not be able to schedule an appointment before the form is received. Should you require further assistance then please call us on 01685 727333 to discuss with a staff member.
Part 2: On the day of your appointment:
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. Unfortunately, if you are late arriving, your appointment will need to be rescheduled for another day.
- If you are travelling by car then please park in the pay and display car park at your appointment time and call us (on 01685 727333) to advise that you have arrived. The registrar will conduct the first part of the appointment over the telephone. Certificates cost £11 each and payment will be taken during this telephone call. (We can only accept card payments, over the phone). When advised the Registrar will invite you into the office to check and sign the register page. We are still politely requesting that you wear masks when entering the building, if possible.
- The Registrar will then ask you to wait whilst she prepares your certificate.
Please do not come to the office until the first part of the appointment has been done, over the telephone.
- We are now processing these appointments around our other registration commitments, please return all completed applications to our office using the following address: The Register Office, Ty Penderyn, 26 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 8DP and a member of staff will review the same and contact you when an appointment becomes available.
To book a Marriage / Civil Partnership:
We are accepting enquiries and bookings for marriages and civil partnerships.
The Register Office – holds the couple themselves and two witnesses. This is available Monday – Thursday only and costs £46.
The Fountain Room – Now holds 45 guests plus the couple, the 2 registrars required and 1 photographer/videographer (Please note the 50 limit must include any additional photographers/videographers and all children).
To book a Notice of Marriage / Civil Partnership Appointment:
If you have booked your ceremony and live within the Merthyr Tydfil Borough then please contact us on 01685 727333 to schedule an appointment for this to be arranged. We are taking appointments for Notices of Marriage / Civil Partnership.