Births, Deaths and Marriages
Our offices remain closed to the public, but all services remain accessible online or by phone. Should you have an enquiry we can assist you with, then please contact us on 01685 727333. Please do not travel to the office without having scheduled an appointment beforehand.
To order a certificate of Birth, Death or Marriage:
You are now able to order and pay for any certificates online via the following link.
* IMPORTANT: We only hold certificates for Births, Deaths, Marriages or Civil Partnerships which took place within the district of Merthyr Tydfil. If the Birth, Death or Marriage took place within an alternative district then you will need to contact the Register Office that serves that borough.
All certificates will be posted out. Collection of certificates is not available at this time, in order to minimise footfall at the office. If you have a query, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01685 727333 to discuss with a staff member who will do their best to meet your request.
Death Registrations are currently being prioritised and are taking place by telephone. If you need to arrange the registration of a death which occurred within the Merthyr Tydfil borough then please contact us on 01685 727333
We need to be in receipt of all required medical paperwork before we are able to register the death. A member of our team will take your contact details and contact you when the paperwork has been received. They will also talk you through the registration process and /or address any queries you may have in the interim.
Death certificates cost £11 each and payment will be taken by card, over the telephone. The certificates will be posted out to you along with a unique reference number and instructions on how to use the ‘Tell us Once’ service if you wish to use it. The paperwork required by the Funeral Directors will be emailed to them direct following your telephone appointment.
To Register a baby:
In a bid to keep our staff and customers safe we have made changes in order to minimise the time spent with customers on a face-to-face basis. For this reason, birth registrations are still currently being done in a two-step process:
Part 1: Please complete the online form for a birth registration appointment.
Please ensure that you complete the form fully and accurately to ensure that the details are recorded correctly, we will review your form and call you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment. Please note, we will not be able to schedule an appointment before the form is received. Should you require further assistance then please call us on 01685 727333 to discuss with a staff member.
Part 2: On the day of your appointment:
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. Unfortunately, if you are late arriving, your appointment will need to be rescheduled for another day.
- If you are traveling by car then please park in the pay and display car park at your appointment time and call us (on 01685 727333) to advise that you have arrived. The registrar will conduct the first part of the appointment over the telephone. Certificates cost £11 each and payment will be taken during this telephone call. (We can only accept card payments, over the phone). When advised the Registrar will invite you into the office to check and sign the register page. We are still requesting that you wear masks when entering the building.
- The Registrar will then ask you to wait whilst she prepares your certificate.
Please do not come to the office until the first part of the appointment has been done, over the telephone.
- We are currently reviewing and scheduling appointments for birth re-registrations. A member of our team should be in contact with you shortly but should you wish to discuss please contact us on 01685 727333.
To book a Marriage / Civil Partnership:
We are now accepting booking for marriages and civil partnerships.
Due to Covid-19 we currently still only have two options for ceremony rooms and our maximum occupancy, governed by Risk Assessments is limited:
The Register Office – holds the couple themselves and two witnesses. This is available Monday – Thursday only and costs £46.
The Fountain Room – now holds a maximum of 34 for ceremonies. This includes the couple, 2 witnesses and 2 registrars required (Please note: This number must include photographers/children).
To book a Notice of Marriage / Civil Partnership Appointment:
If you have booked your ceremony and live within the Merthyr Tydfil Borough then please contact us on 01685 727333 to schedule an appointment for this to be arranged. We are taking appointments for Notice of Marriage / Civil Partnership 3-4 months before the scheduled ceremony.