School closures, Childcare and free school meals
Pre-school childcare provision
The Welsh Government announced the introduction of the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme (C- CAS) on 6 April 2020. This scheme is designed to offer funded childcare places for pre-school children and their older siblings whose parents are critical keyworkers or those children assessed as vulnerable. Please note older siblings will only be funded for those eligible applications submitted up to 19th June 2020.
Registered childcare providers are working with the Local Authority to provide supported childcare places for eligible critical keyworker households. Some childcare providers remain open across the county borough, with a range of opening hours, and will be able to meet the needs of younger children 0-3 years, as well as some older siblings.
C-CAS funding is only available to 3 year old children who started school in January 2020 or who should have started after Easter 2020 (rising 3’s).
Deadline for C-CAS applications for pre-school children is Friday 10th July, no funding will be awarded after this date. Childcare for older siblings will only be granted for those eligible applications received on or before 19th June 2020.
For those families applying for childcare in one of the pre-school childcare hubs, you may wish to access the privacy notice which explains how your data will be used, stored and shared. Read the notice here.
Eligibility criteria for access to pre-school childcare for Critical Workers is the same as for school-based childcare.
For details of Pre-School childcare provision available across the County Borough please look on the Family Information website on https://www.merthyr.gov.uk/resident/social-services-and-wellbeing/childrens-social-care/getting-help/family-information-service-fis/
or call the Family Information Service on 01685 727400
Please note you must be actively working during the time your child is attending the childcare.
Every effort to provide childcare at home should be made before using either form of childcare available.
Parents will be informed of any changes as they happen through this web site and by providers of these services.
Parents must be key workers within:
- Health and Social Care sectors. including Social Workers.
- Education and childcare staff
- Key public services, i.e. those responsible for the management of the deceased.
- Local and national government (This only includes those administrative occupations essential to the effective delivery of the COVID-19 response, or delivering essential public services, such as the payment of benefits)
- Food and other necessary goods (This includes those involved in food production, processing, distribution, sale and delivery)
- Public safety and national security (This includes police and support staff, fire and rescue service employees (including support staff) and prison and probation staff)
- Transport (This includes those who will keep the road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the COVID-19 response, including those working on transport systems through which supply chains pass)
- Utilities, communication and financial services
You will be aware that, in Merthyr Tydfil, we have taken the decision to offer a minimum of two days of ‘Check in, Catch up and Prepare’ provision for all learners, with the exception of our nursery pupils.
While this may be disappointing to you, I am sure you will understand that in making these arrangements at such a challenging time, the local authority must take into consideration the potential limited availability of school staff and therefore the risk of schools not being able to provide safe staffing levels.
Free School Meals
From 4th May, families with children entitled to Free School Meals have received a direct payment into their bank.
If you missed the deadline your payment will be backdated.
Free School Meal payments will continue until the end of August 2020.
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01685 725000 and a member of our team will be able to help you. Thank you.