The Blue Badge Scheme allows access for badge holders to park close to their destination, either as a passenger or driver, in order to access goods, services and facilities. The scheme also promotes social inclusion and independent living.
Do I qualify for a Blue Badge?
You can automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You are registered as blind (severely sight impaired)
- You are receiving the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- You are receiving Personal Independence Payment at the following level for the descriptors listed
- Planning and Following Journeys - 12 points
- Moving Around - 8 points or more
- You receive a War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- You received a lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 and have been assessed and certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency as having a permanent and substantial impairment which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
You must supply the appropriate documentation to show that you are receiving any of the above
If you do not meet the above criteria, you may qualify under the following categories at our discretion pending on the information you supply to support your application:
- You have a permanent and substantial impairment which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking.
- If a person has a cognitive impairment and is unable to plan or follow any journey to the extent that they need supervision
- You have impairment in both arms
- Children under the age of 3 who have a medical condition which means that they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty
You must supply supporting medical evidence to qualify under these categories
How to apply
You can apply online at Gov.UK website (external link) or download, print and complete a Blue Badge Application form and sent it to:
One Stop Shop
Once submitted you will need to supply documentation to support your application along with proof of identification, proof of residency and a photograph.
For any lost or stolen Blue Badges, there will be a replacement charge of £10.