Communities First Programme
The Communities First programme has been reformed so that it supports the Welsh Government’s tackling poverty agenda and continues to support the most disadvantaged people in our most deprived areas.
There are now 3 geographical areas known as clusters:
- Mid Cluster covering - Heolgerrig, Swansea Road, Town Centre, Twynyrodyn, Ynysfach, Twyncarmel, Castle Park, Cefn and Trefechan
- North Cluster covering - Gurnos, Galon Uchaf, Dowlais, Pant and Penydarren
- South Cluster covering - Bedlinog, Trelewis, Treharris, Merthyr Vale, Aberfan, Troedyrhiw, Pentrebach and Abercanaid
Programme delivery now has three themes:
- Prosperous Communities
- Learning Communities
- Healthier Communities
Initially, funding for the new programme was awarded for two years from April 2013-March 2015 however we have been granted an extra year of funding which runs from April 2015 to March 2017.
How can I find out what it going on in my local community?
You can call into your nearest Communities First Office or alternatively give them a ring at one of the following;
- Mid Cluster, Winchfawr House, Lansbury Road, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1HA – 01685 383929
- North Cluster, 3G’s, 15 Chestnut Way, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 9SB – 01685 350888 - https://twitter.com/3gsdevtrust
- South Cluster, Tram Road, Merthyr Vale, CF48 4RS – 01443 690178
How can I get involved?
Just get in touch with one of our members of staff at your local Communities First Cluster. It really is that simple. If you want to get involved in local projects, attend courses and so on, the first step is to contact your local Cluster. They may be able to point you in the right direction immediately or can meet with you to discuss things in further detail. Keep an eye out for our posters advertising what is happening in your area all year around!
Communities First depends on local support, so the more you that get involved the better - it will be for the community.
I don’t live in a Communities First area. Can I still get involved?
Yes. If you would like to get involved contact your nearest office.
Within Merthyr Tydfil there is a central support team that helps to support the programme and staff working within the areas. If you have any queries you can contact any member of the team on:
Tel: 01685 725436