Reception Primary School Admission
Apply online for a school place
You can apply online from 12 April 2021. A Parent’s Guide to Admissions is available to help you complete an online application
Once you have submitted your online application, you will receive an automatic email acknowledgement.
Online applications close on the 17 December 2021. Late applications must be completed on paper.
If your Childs 5th birthday falls between 1 September 2022 and 31 August 2023, you must apply for a new reception school place.
The final date for making an application is 17 December 2021.
To apply after this date you will need to contact us for a late application form by emailing email@example.com or by phone on 01685 725000.
If you choose to apply by post it is your responsibility to make sure it is submitted to us. We recommend that posted forms are sent via recorded delivery as we will not acknowledge your form being received.
We are not responsible for forms returned by post and missing forms cannot be investigated without evidence of posting.
Before you apply:
- Check your School catchment area
- You can apply for up to 3 different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all 3 preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- Children who attend a nursery or pre-school already in a Merthyr Tydfil school are not automatically guaranteed a place at that school. You must apply for your preferred schools using the application process and not directly to the schools.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
How we tell you about the outcome of your application
You will be notified in writing on the 18 April 2022.
Information for Parents
The entry of children into primary schools is controlled and administered by an 'Admissions Authority’ except for voluntary aided schools. For non-voluntary aided schools this is Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council and for voluntary aided schools it’s the Governing body of the school.
Admissions to primary schools will normally be granted provided a schools admission number is not exceeded. Where the number of applications for admission to a school exceeds the number of places available, i.e. where an admission number has been reached, places will be allocated by applying the published oversubscription criteria.
Voluntary Aided Schools
There are 3 voluntary aided primary schools in Merthyr Tydfil. Each Voluntary Aided Schools Governing Body manages their own admissions and should be contacted directly.
Please Note: Where parents knowingly give false information in order to obtain the advantage of a particular school for their child to which they would not otherwise be entitled, the council reserves the right to withdraw the offer of a place. Parents may render themselves guilty of an offence under Section 5(b) of the Perjury Act 1911.