Welcome To Governor Support
Our team of officers work closely together to provide a strong link between governing bodies, schools and the local authority. We offer a valuable clerking service and comprehensive training programme, which enables governors to become more informed, guided and confident. We recognise the importance of an effective Governing Body and the need for advice and guidance to be on hand. We hope you enjoy browsing through our website. If you have any queries, comments or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Becoming a School Governor
Being a school governor can be one of the most rewarding ways of contributing to your local community. As a school governor, you have real opportunities to
- Raise educational standards in your local school;
- Help children achieve their full potential;
- Identify and develop the school’s management team;
- Improve the school’s financial efficiency and effectiveness;
- Engage parents and the local community to benefit the school;
- Develop an environment which promotes learning;
- Acquire new skills, new friends and a real sense of achievement;
- Share in and celebrate the success of children, staff, teachers and the school as a whole.
We aim to provide support and training to governors on a wide range of topics. The training programme has been developed to ensure governors receive training on the new legislation and best practise. As a service we offer a comprehensive induction training package which includes key sessions
- Induction to Governance
- Safeguarding Children
- Effective Financial Management
- Raising Pupil Attendance in Schools
School Improvement and Raising Standards of Attainment are vital to the role of the governing body to aid you in this aim, our School Improvement Service will be providing sessions on
- Critical Friend
- Understanding and Using School Data
Governors will also be reviewing an Annual Performance Review from the Schools System Leaders, this will provide governors with the opportunity to receive an individual school report based in their performance data.
The service also provides a wide ranging whole governing body training programme. If you would like to develop a school specific training programme, the Governor Training Officer can come to the school and discuss your individual needs.
Governors can also attend training in our Consortium Partners, bookings need to be made with the Governor Support Team in that Authority. Please see the external link section to the right of the page for further details.
Governors Wales Helpline 0845 6020100
(*independent advice, support & guidance. Lines open 9am – 10pm weekdays and 11am-4pm at weekends. All calls are at a local rate and a bilingual service is available.)