School Holiday Schemes
What are Open Access Holiday Playschemes?
Open Access Holiday Playschemes:
- Are mainly for children aged 8 to 14 years old
- Can be located in a variety of settings with or without premises, including leisure/community centres, outdoor playgrounds, playschemes and parks
- Are run by qualified play staff who provide an environment which enables children to play
- Aim to be child centred, friendly, safe, fun and inclusive for all children
- Provide a variety of resources and materials which ensure ALL children have access to quality play opportunities
Please note: Staff can only supervise children whilst they are on site and participating in the scheme’s activities. They are NOT providing childcare and cannot confine children to the building / its grounds or prevent them from coming or going as they please.
What are CSSIW Registered Holiday Playschemes?
Holiday Playschemes operate during the main school holidays and children are left in the care of staff working at the centre. Children at a holiday playscheme are cared for throughout the day until they are collected by the parent/carer.
Registration with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is required when the holiday playscheme offers a service to children under the age of eight for more than two hours a day. If a Holiday Playscheme is CSSIW registered, parents can claim childcare costs through Tax Credits, depending on their circumstances.