Online, Saves Time

Childcare - Services for childminders

Are you interested in becoming a registered childminder?

Would you like to:

  • Care for children and offer them a happy and inspirational environment?
  • Have a rewarding career and benefit from generous tax allowances?
  • Work in your own home and do something you love for a living?
  • Start your own business and get help with the set-up costs?

If the answer is YES then registered childminding could be the ideal career for you.  


Getting Started

To become registered as a childminder you will need to meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.   The Care and Social Services Inspectorate for Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for registering and inspecting childminders to make sure they meet the standards. 

How do I register 

  • You must attend a childminding briefing session  This session tells you about becoming a registered childminder.  Dates of sessions are available from the Family Information Service
  • Get a copy of the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare and a childminding application pack from CSSIW
  • Complete your CYPOP 5 course
  • Attend an advise surgery
  • Complete all relevant training before application is completed this is available from the Early Years Department MTCBC
  • Return the two parts of your CSSIW application form, along with medical declaration, Social Services form and apply for DBS (formerly CRB) forms
  • Have a CSSIW home inspection and suitable person interview, based on the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare

What Support I will have 

  • Help towards your CYPOP 5 course
  • Access to free training
  • Support to complete you CSSIW application
  • Start up grant from the Early Years and Childcare Department which includes a years free Public Liability Insurance and a Tools of the Trade Kit.
  • access to 12 months' business support from PACEY
  • a years FREE membership of PACEY

Please note to access the above support a training agreement would need to be completed with the Local Authority Early Years Department.


For information please contact the Family Information Service

Dewis Cymru

Contact Us

Were you looking for?