Council Tax Discounts
The full Council Tax Demand notice assumes that there are two adults living in your home. If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), the Council Tax Demand notice will be reduced by a quarter (25%).
People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults resident in a property for Council Tax purposes:
- Full time students, student nurses
- Youth Training trainees
- Patients resident in hospital (in excess of 52 weeks)
- People who are being looked after in care homes (Not respite care)
- People who are severely mentally impaired
- People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- 18 and 19-year-olds who are at, or have just left school
- Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
- People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18-years-old
- is occupied solely by a Care Leaver / Care Leavers up to their 25th Birthday
- Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
- Members of religious communities
- People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine).
If you think you may be entitled to a discount please contact us on 01685 725000 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What if my circumstances change?
If you have been awarded a reduction and any of the circumstances which affect your entitlement change, you must tell us immediately by contacting us on the details below.
If you do not, you may have to pay a penalty.