Online, Saves Time

Gambling Premises licence

The Gambling Act 2005 came into force on 1st September 2007 and replaced most of the existing Gambling law in Great Britain. The Act aimed to put in place an improved, more comprehensive structure of gambling regulation.

All responsibility for the granting of gaming and betting permissions in Merthyr Tydfil has been taken from the licensing justices, and will now be shared by the Gambling Commission and the County Borough Council as a licensing authority.

The Gambling Act 2005 requires that the Council publish a Statement of Gambling Policy that sets out the policies the Council will generally apply to promote the three licensing objectives when making a decision on an application made in accordance with the Act.

Gambling Licensing Objectives

There are three Gambling Licensing objectives which are:

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and,
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Gambling Licences

There are 3 main types of licences issued in accordance with the Act:-

  • Premises Licence
  • Operators Licence
  • Personal Licence operator's licence

Operator's and personal licences are issued by the Gambling Commission and premises licences are issued by the Council. In addition to licences, a number of permits are available for certain types of gambling.

Premises Licences

There are six types of Premise Licences:

  • Casino Premise Licence
  • Bingo Premise Licence
  • Betting (Track) Premise Licence¬†
  • Betting (other) Premise Licence
  • Adult Gaming Centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines)
  • Family Entertainment Centres (for category C and D gaming machines

For further information on making an application can be found please contact us. Before an application for the grant of a premises licence can be accepted, the applicant must be the holder of the appropriate operating licence and, if required, a personal licence by the Gambling Commission.


The following Permits are issued by the Council under the Gambling Act 2005:

  • (Unlicensed) Family Entertainment Centre (FEC) Gaming Machine Permit
  • Club Machine Permit
  • Club Gaming Permit
  • Alcohol Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit
  • Notification of up to 2 gaming machines in Alcohol Licensed Premises
  • Prize Gaming Permit

For further information on Gaming Machines in Alcohol Licensed Premises and Club Machine and Gaming Permits please contact us.

Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (FEC) Gaming Machine Permit

An "Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre" (UFEC) refers to a premises which is wholly or mainly used for making category D gaming machines available for use. Such premises cater for families and may provide an unlimited amount of Cat D machines (max stake 10p or 30p when non monetary). Children will have free access to these machines under this permit.

UFEC's do not require an operating licence and/or personal licence from the Gambling Commission, they only require a permit issued by the local licensing authority.

Further information on making an application please contact us.

Prize Gaming Permit

A Prize Gaming Permit is issued by the Council to authorise the provision of facilities for gaming with prizes on specified premises.

Prize gaming is defined in Section 288 of the Act, and is gaming in which neither the nature nor the size of a prize is determined by the number of persons playing or the amount paid for or raised by the gaming. It is, therefore, gaming where the organiser puts up the prizes in advance, as distinct from gaming where the stakes of the participants make up the winnings. Prize gaming is intended to permit low level gaming for small participation fees and modest prizes. Bingo played at seaside amusement arcades is typical of this type of gaming.

An application for a Permit can only be made by a person who occupies or plans to occupy the relevant premises and if the applicant is an individual, s/he must be aged 18 or over. Holders of Premises Licences under the Act and holders of Club Gaming Permits may not apply for Prize Gaming.

Further information on making an application please contact us.

Exempt Prize Gaming

The following premises are authorised by the Act to offer prize gaming, subject to certain conditions, and do not require a separate Prize Gaming Permit:

  • Holders of Adult Gaming Centre Premises Licences
  • Holders of Family Entertainment Centre Premises Licences
  • Holders of Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits
  • Travelling fairs
  • Bingo halls.

Contact Us

Were you looking for?