Online, Saves Time

Street Cafe Licence

Permissions to place tables and chairs on the highway are granted under Part VIIA of the Highways Act 1980. In Merthyr Tydfil Town Centre the scheme has been introduced to encourage the provision of a “Café Quarter” with a view that it will help maximise the use of public spaces, aid the local economy and add to the facilities offered to people who visit, live and work in Merthyr Tydfil.

Permits to place tables and chairs are required only for the public highway, (tables and chairs on private land do not require a permit).

How To Apply

To apply for a permit to place Tables & Chairs on the Public Highway you premises must be located within the area covered by the permit scheme and be a café, restaurant, public house or other catering establishment that serves food and drink inside the premises. 

All applications are required to meet the minimum requirements set out in the terms and conditions of the scheme and anyone intending to apply is advised to read the guidance notes first.

To make an application you must be over 18 years old, and submit the following to the Licensing section:

  • An application form
  • A plan of the proposed area
  • Photographs and/or pictures of the proposed furniture
  • Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5,000,000
  • The fee
Consultation Period

Once a complete application has been accepted by the Licensing Division a 28 day statutory consultation period begins, whereby a notice must be placed at the premises, and a copy of the application will be sent to the following individuals/bodies seeking their consent/objection:

  • Head of Public Health
  • Highways Network Group Manager
  • Head of Town Planning
  • Town Centre Manager
  • South Wales Police
  • South Wales Fire Service
  • Owners/Occupiers of premises to be materially affected by the application

Where an application meets the minimum requirements set out in the guidance notes, the scheme’s terms and conditions and no objections are received in respect of the application, the permit will be granted for a period of 12 months.

What Happens Next?

Where objections are received in respect of the application, the application will be determined by the Head of Protection and Safety Services.

There is no right of appeal against a refusal of an application to place tables and chairs on the highway.

For further information please contact the Licensing section.

Contact Us