Private Hire Drivers Licence
Any person driving a licensed vehicle must be licensed as a hackney carriage and/or private hire vehicle driver with Licensing Authority where they intend to work.
Licensing Authorities have a duty to establish whether an applicant is a “fit and proper” person. This involves a series of checks and tests being carried out with various organisations so that the Authority can determine each application fairly and consistently.
To complete the application process, you must provide:
- Completed application form – New application form; Renewal application form
- A completed DVLA Driving Entitlement Consent Form – this will be given to you at your appointment;
- An enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) certificate – the DBS application will be completed at your appointment;
- 3 forms of ID to complete the DBS check – DBS Checks Identity Documents;
- A medical certificate completed by your GP – medical certificate;
- A pass certificate from Tydfil Training for the knowledge test - full details can be found in the guidance notes below;
- A pass certificate from the Blue Lamp Trust or Diamond Advanced Motoring for the taxi assessment – full details can be found in the guidance notes below;
- Criminal record checks for all country / countries that you have resided in for a period of over 6 consecutive months – full details can be found in the guidance notes below;
- Your current DVLA driving licence;
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK – right to work document list;
- Passport photo.
All applications must be made in person. To make an application you are required to make an appointment with the Licensing Section. If you turn up without an appointment then it is unlikely that staff will be able to see you. Please contact the Licensing Section on 01685 725000 to make an appointment.
It is advised that the following documents are read before you make your application:
- Guidance Notes
- Suitability Policy
- Fees list
- Private Hire Driver Conditions
- Taxi Licensing Application Policy
- Policy for Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council in respect of requests for information