Re-launch of the SETS Capital Grant to support tourism industry, sport and community groups
- Categories : Press Release
- 11 Aug 2023
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council has re-launched its grants programme to help social enterprises, community groups, tourism businesses and sports clubs pay for capital projects.
The Social Enterprise, Tourism & Sport (SETS) Capital Grant will support applicants in carrying out building and infrastructure work and making large-scale equipment purchases in order to help them expand their existing services and activities.
After the success of last year’s grant, the awards of up to £25,000 are being made available.
Councillor Michelle Symonds stated that “The Council recognises there’s a definite need to support all types of social enterprises and groups, tourism businesses and sports clubs with capital funding,”
Importantly, the scheme will not finance any revenue work relating to gaining planning permission, building regs & feasibility studies aligned to potential capital works.
Eligible for funding will be:
- Internal and external building work that enhances or safeguards the business / organisation building.
- Large infrastructure equipment purchases.
- Capital works to assist with any potential Community Asset Transfer (CAT)
You cannot apply for support for:
- Revenue costs.
- Costs to purchase buildings, land or vehicles.
- Costs that relate to normal running expenses.
- Projects that are focussed on converting homes into accommodation businesses (including AirBnB’s)
- Statutory procedures such as planning permission or building regulations.
- Equipment / other items that have a one-off annual use or are deemed to be seasonal.
- Retrospective costs such as for work or equipment already undertaken/purchased.
Applicants need to be existing tourism business (primarily attractions and accommodation providers); any form of social business: social enterprise, constituted community group, CIC, sports club, youth organisation, worship group, resident association etc; and the organisation/business must be based in Merthyr Tydfil.
The maximum amount that can be applied for is £25,000. Applications for more than £15,000 will be required to contribute 20% towards the total project cost. For projects costing less than £15,000, there will be no match-funding requirement.
The deadline for submission of applications is 4.00pm on Friday 25th August 2023
In the first instance, you will need to register your interest by emailing CRF@merthyr.gov.uk where you will be sent an application form and guidance document for the SETS Capital Grant. The Council’s External Funding Team will be on hand to answer any questions via email.