Register to Vote
It's free, quick and easy to register online. You just need your national insurance number.
You will be asked:
- Where you live (including if you are a British citizen living abroad)
- Your nationality
- Your date of birth
- Your full name (including if you have changed your name in the last 12 months)
- Your National Insurance number
- If you live at a second address (if you have two homes or are a student with a home and term-time address)
- If you have moved out of another address in the last 12 months (including from abroad)
- If you want your name included on the ‘open register’.
- If you want to vote by post
- How you wish to be contacted if we have any questions about your application
If you don’t have access to the web, call our electoral services helpline on 01685 725000. We can take your details over the phone or send you a registration form by post if you prefer.
Register to vote if you’re in the armed forces
People in the armed forces, and their spouses and civil partners, can register to vote in the normal way. However, if you are likely to be based overseas in the next year, it’s best to register as a service voter using a fixed UK address.
Who can register?
You can register to vote if you are:
- 16 or older (although you can’t vote until you're 18); and
- a British citizen; or
- an Irish, qualifying commonwealth, or European Union Citizen living in the UK
Why should I register?
- The information is required by law.
- If you are not registered, you cannot vote in elections.
- You may find it difficult to get credit, loans, phone contracts, a mortgage or bank account as the register is used by credit reference agencies.
When do I need to register?
You need to register if:
- you’re not registered already; or
- you’re not sure if you're registered (don't worry about registering twice - we'll check for that); or
- your circumstances have changed (for example, you have recently moved home or changed your name); or
- we have told you during our annual canvass that your electoral details don’t match other records.