Online, Saves Time

Register to Vote

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council is required to keep the register of eligible voters up to date.  Each year, we contact every household to find out whether the details we have are correct and give you the chance to make amendments and additions.  This is called the Annual Canvass and takes place between July and December each year.

Moving Home

If you move home you will need to register to vote at your new address. Adding your name to the annual canvass form does not automatically entitle you to vote.

Your old registration or postal vote will not move with you.

Changing your name

If your name changes, to update the electoral register you will need to complete and sign a voter change of name form. This cannot be completed online. You will also need to provide a relevant document such as a copy of your marriage certificate, deed poll or amended birth certificate to support the form.

Opting in or out of the open register

There are two registers:

  • The full electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote and is used for electoral purposes. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime, calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.
  • The open register is an extract of the electoral register and is not used for elections. This list can be bought by any person, company or organisation for marketing purposes. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You must be on the electoral register but can decide to opt out of being listed on the open register.