Post 16 College Transport
There is no statutory requirement to provide transport for post 16 learners. However, Merthyr Tydfil offers a discretionary transport service to 16 to 19 year old learners who meet the eligibility criteria. Transport will be provided free to The College Merthyr Tydfil. Where the course is not available at The College Merthyr Tydfil, transport will be provided to the nearest suitable course provider to the following colleges: Coleg y Cymoedd (Ystrad Mynach & Aberdare campuses only) and Bridgend College (Pencoed campus only)
To be eligible to receive free transport post 16 learners MUST:
- reside within Merthyr Tydfil;
- be over the age of 16 and below the age of 19 at the commencement of the academic year;
- be attending a first course of study at their nearest college campus for their chosen approved full time further education programme of study
- reside three or more miles away from their nearest appropriate college campus.
Transport will be provided by dedicated learner transport such as a coach or minibus or by provision of season tickets on public transport. Students will be required to access public transport via the nearest suitable station/ stop depending on the area and the type of season ticket provided
Application forms will be available from student services at the named colleges or alternatively they are available to download below.
- Post-16 Application Form Merthyr Tydfil 2022-23 Aberdare
- Post-16 Application Form Merthyr Tydfil 2022-23 Ystrad Mynach
- Post-16 Application Form Merthyr Tydfil 2022-23 Pencoed
- Post-16 Application Form Merthyr Tydfil 2022-23 The College Merthyr Tydfil
The form will need to be completed and returned to the college along with a passport size photo. They will checked for accuracy and forwarded to the school transport department. Applications will be assessed in accordance with the Council’s post 16 transport policy and applicants will be written to with the outcome of your application.
Students are urged to contact the school transport department to clarify if they qualify for free transport prior to enrolment.