Online, Saves Time

Rights of Way

Please tell us about any problem on a public right of way including:

  • Signs
  • Animals
  • Obstructions
  • Overgrown vegetation
  • The misuse of a path
  • Ploughing or cropping
  • The surface of a path
  • Drainage
  • Gates, styles and handrails

Public rights of way are open to everyone. They can be roads, paths or tracks, and can run through towns, countryside or private property. You have the right to walk along them. Some rights of way are also open to horse riders, cyclists or motorists. There are three forms of public rights of way:

  • Public footpaths: for pedestrians only
  • Public bridleways: for pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists
  • Public byways: for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists and motorised vehicles, subject to the character of the way.

If you would like to find out if a path is a Public Right of Way, you can contact us or refer to the 'Definitive Map', which is the official legal record of public rights of way.

The Definitive map is available for inspection via an appointment and is located at:

Unit 5
Triangle Business Park
Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 4TQ

Please use the 'Contact Us' form at the side of this page to arrange an appointment.

Contact Us