Online, Saves Time

Apply for a dropped kerb

Use this service to apply for a dropped kerb.

If you are considering the construction of an access to your property to enable a domestic or similar private light goods vehicle to cross over the footway. You will need to apply to Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council Highways Department for approval. View a list of our current charges

Processing applications for dropped kerbs to enable access to your property

New dropped kerbs require consent from Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council, with the exception of the Trunk Roads that are managed by the South Wales Trunk Road Agency on behalf of the Welsh Government. Any questions regarding these roads should be directed to them rather than Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council.

Legal Considerations

Planning permission is not usually required for such work, but may be if the property involved:

  • has a frontage directly on to a classified road
  • is a listed building or in a conservation area
  • is other than a house for a single family, such as a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises.
  • When you have planning permission or a letter saying that you do not need it, or if you live on an unclassified road, you can apply for consent to construct the vehicular access from Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council.

If consent is given the Council will send you a list of instructions. The New Roads and Street Works Act make it an offence for work to be done by anyone who is not accredited. The Council will undertake the work on your behalf should you wish. An estimate for the work will be provided but no work will commence until a Cheque has been paid and cleared through the Authority’s Account. You are also able to use your own Contractor as long as he has the correct accreditation and the relevant Public Liability Insurance cover

Applying for New Dropped Kerbs

If you wish to request a new dropped kerb, please use our Dropped Kerb Online Apply Form or Contact us using the contact information noted at the bottom of the page.

Important Notice

The construction of a vehicle crossing simply gives the right to drive across the pavement to gain access to the property with a private or light goods motor car, the crossing itself is part of the public road and there is no right to park on it. From the date that the Council accepts the completed crossing, they will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by the use of heavy vehicles, and so on. For this reason, the crossing must be built to the Council Specification.

Were you looking for?