Online, Saves Time

How to claim Housing Benefit

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies:

  • You and your partner (if you have one) are pension age.
  • You are staying in a hostel, refuge or some types of supported or temporary housing.

Otherwise, you must claim Universal Credit.

 The amount of Housing Benefit you can get is worked out by looking at:

  • how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • the amount of savings you have

These benefit calculators will help you to find out what you could receive.

For more information on what Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction is and to make a claim use our online form below.

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction and need to advise us of a change in your circumstances.

To find out what types of change you need to tell about and to report a change then visit tell us about a change in circumstances