The main purpose of Renewal Areas is to improve living conditions in areas which require regeneration. The statutory basis for Renewal Areas is set out in the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, as amended by the Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002.
Whilst housing improvement is the primary focus, Renewal Areas provide considerable environmental benefits, positive social and economic change and often stimulate resident and investor confidence.
The decision to declare a Renewal Area is usually drawn from evidence gathered as a result of a sample stock condition and environmental survey. Other evidence is also significant, for example, levels of employment and health, both of which will influence an areas standing in terms of multiple deprivation.
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council have declared three formal Renewal Areas since 2001:
- Merthyr Vale Renewal Area: Active from April 2001 - March 2011.
- Dowlais Renewal Area: Active from Sept 2003 – Aug 2013
- Bedlinog & Trelewis Renewal Area: Active from May 2011 – to date
The Renewal Areas are managed by the Council’s Housing Renewal Team based at the Unit 5, Triangle Business Park, Pentrebach and may be contacted via telephone or email using the details at the bottom of this page.
The Housing Renewal Team submits annual funding bids to Welsh Government to support the projects proposed for the Renewal Areas. Since 2001, the Team has successfully bid for and received over £19 million, which has supplemented and in most cases, actually levered in, approximately £70 million of private and third sector investment in the Renewal Areas.
Projects undertaken within the declared Renewal Areas include:
- Numerous Group Repair Schemes to over 500 private homes
- Individual grants: including Empty Homes Grants, Cosy Homes Grants, Improvement Grants, Home Repairs Assistance Grants
- Environmental improvement schemes – providing public car parks, landscaping, fencing, street lighting, home security measures
- Highway and Traffic Calming schemes: providing chicanes, bollards, off street parking
Since 2011 the level of funding from Welsh Government has fallen significantly, a trend which is likely to continue into the future. For this reason it is difficult to firmly plan future projects.
If you live within Bedlinog ward and would like to know more about proposed projects please contact us.