Online, Saves Time

Request a Permanent Road Closure

Use this service to request a permanent road closure. 

A permanent road closure can be processed under two acts of Parliament:

  • The Highways Act 1980
  • The Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Highway being unnecessary

Under Section 116 of The Highways Act 1980, Merthyr Council can apply to the Magistrates' Court, on behalf of the applicant, for an order to stop the highway if the reason for the closure is that the highway is deemed unnecessary and there is a nearer or more appropriate alternative route available to the public. 

Other Permanent closures

Section 247 of The Town and Country Planning Act 1990 allows the stopping up or diversion of a highway if Merthyr Council is satisfied that it is necessary to do so to allow for development to be carried out in accordance to planning permission granted. 




Contact Us