Online, Saves Time

Managing personal financial affairs

If you feel that you are unable to manage your own financial affairs or you know of an individual that requires support, we may be able to assist.

The department may be able to assist in either of the two ways listed below dependent upon the individual’s circumstances.


This is where the department receives and manages a person’s Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) benefits. This income is then used to pay care fees and issue personal allowances. To receive this assistance the person must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • The individual must be known to the Community Services Department
  • Residing in a Residential / Nursing Home on a permanent basis
  • Does not own their own property
  • Does not have a significant amount of savings
  • Does not already have an appointee, or a family member willing to become an appointee
  • Does not have the capacity to deal with their own benefits / income


This is where the department manages all income and assets and makes arrangements to pay all bills on the person’s behalf. As a deputy the department will also be involved in making decisions in the best interest of the client.

  • The individual must be known to our Community Services Department.
  • The individual must be deemed 'mentally incapable' (by written medical opinion) of managing their own financial affairs or assets.
  • The individual must have savings and or an asset (such as a property which they own)
  • There is no one else who is able or suitable to act as court deputy, such as a relative, friend, solicitor.

How would the individual have access to their finances?

Arrangements can be made for them to access personal spending money via:

  • A basic bank account with the use of a card and pin number
  • A staff member for example care manager or support worker collecting cash on their behalf.
  • Paid direct to the residential / nursing home they reside at

How to apply

If the individual concerned meets the criteria outlined above and you think we can help, call the Duty Team on 01685 724507.

What should I do if I want to apply to become an appointee or deputy?

If you want to apply to become an appointee for an individual you should contact The Department For Works and Pensions on 0845 60 60 265 who will provide you with the necessary forms and offer further advice.

To apply to become a deputy then visit the Office of the Public Guardian website for further information (please see Related Links on the right hand side of this page).

What if I have concerns over someone already acting as appointee or deputy?

If you suspect someone is misusing another person’s money you should report this to the social services Duty team on 01685 724507 who will pass the details onto the Protection of Vulnerable Adults coordinator who where necessary will instigate an investigation involving the police.

Further Information

For further information and advice about deputyship or appointeeship you can contact the Financial Assessment & Charging Team on 01685 725069.