Private Hire Operators Licence
Private Hire vehicles and drivers may only be despatched by a licensed Private Hire Operator. A person or limited company can apply for an operator’s licence to operate from a premises within the borough.
Operators are required to keep records of all their bookings. This may include paper logs or computer records.
Licensing Authorities have a duty to establish whether an applicant is a “fit and proper” person before issuing the licence.
To complete the application process, you must provide:
• Completed application form – application form;
• A completed DVLA Driving Enhancement Consent Form if you do not currently hold a driver badge with this Authority - this will be given to you at your appointment;
• A basic Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you do not currently hold a driver badge with this Authority - the DBS application will be completed at your appointment;
• 3 forms of ID to complete the DBS check if necessary – DBS Checks Identity documents;
• Proof of eligibility to work in the UK if applying as an individual – right to work documents.
All applications must be made in person. To make an application you are required to make an appointment with the Licensing Section. If you turn up without an appointment then it is unlikely that staff will be able to see you. Please contact the Licensing Section on 01685 725000 to make an appointment.
It is advised that the following documents are read before making your application: