Burial and Cremation
Arranging a Burial or Cremation
When a person dies it is common practice for the family to contact a funeral director to carry out their wishes for the forthcoming funeral.
The funeral director then makes all arrangements direct with the Crematorium for a cremation or with the Bereavement Services Office at the Local Council for the burial of a coffin.
The funeral director will also arrange transport, service, etc. Funeral Director costs can be compared on the Your Funeral Choice website.
There are five cemetery sites within the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough where burials can be accommodated and also provision for the interment of cremated remains following a cremation.
The sites are as follows:
- Pant Cemetery, CF48 2DD, opened in 1860 and covers approximately 45 acres.
- Cefn Cemetery (Including FFrwd, Pontycapel and Capel Fach Cemeteries) CF48 2HW, opened 1859 and covers in excess of 60 acres.
- Aberfan Cemetery, (Including Bryntaf Cemetery) CF48 4PL, opened 1876 and covers approx. 8 acres. Aberfan Cemetery is a Green Flag Accredited.
- Beechgrove Cemetery, Edwardsville, CF46 5NR, opened in 1888 and covers approx. 6 acres.,
- Graigfargoed Cemetery, Bedlinog, CF46 6SW, Memorials date back to 1771 but came under MTCBC administration in 1974.
Please note: the only new grave spaces in the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough are in Graigfargoed Cemetery in Bedlinog. In all other cemeteries only ‘re-used’ graves are available. A ‘re-used’ grave is one in which there is only one burial over 70 ago which has no memorial and is still in the ownership of the Council.
The original burial is not disturbed when excavating the grave, but the depth remaining above that burial can be used for the burial of a maximum of two coffins providing there is sufficient depth available.
There is no crematorium within the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough. The nearest are:
LLwydcoed Crematorium, Llwydcoed, Aberdare, CF44 0DJ
Glyntaff Crematorium, Glyntaff, Pontypridd, CF37 4BE
Following a cremation, should the family wish to inter the cremated remains in one of MTCBC cemeteries they can do so either through their funeral director or direct with the Bereavement Services Office.