Online, Saves Time

Planning Advice and Guidance

Find out if you need planning permission

Planning permission may be required from the Council:-

• To extend your home
• Construct garages or outbuildings
• Walls and fencing
• Erect decking and retaining walls
• Incorporate additional land into your garden

Planning permission can also be required if you are looking to change the use of a building or the use of a parcel of land.

It is important to find out if you need planning permission before you start work, as a breach of planning control may result in enforcement action being taken against you, where you may then be required to remove a building or structure, which can place significant costs on the development.

So how do you find out if you need planning permission?

The Welsh Government have produced some helpful guidance documents to explain what alterations or works can be undertaken to your home without planning permission. This is often referred to as ‘permitted development’. You can view the technical guidance documents produced by the Welsh Government here.

Please note that these rights do not apply to flats and maisonettes.

Still unsure……..

If you are still unsure if planning permission is required, then you can apply to the Council for a Proposed Lawful Development Certificate. This is a legally binding document which confirms definitely if planning permission is required or not. This document can not only give you peace of mind but can also provide you with a legal document which can be useful if you choose to sell your property at a later date.

This type of application will need to be accompanied by the following information:

• An application form for a Proposed or Existing Certificate of Lawfulness;
• A scaled location plan showing the property outlined in red and the direction of north;
• Existing and proposed elevation and floor plans to a recognised metric scale (i.e. 1:50 or 1:100)
• A scaled block plan showing the proposal in relation to existing buildings/boundaries.
• The relevant planning fee.

Please note that the fee for a Proposed Certificate of Lawfulness is 50% of the fee for an application for full planning permission (which is currently £230).