Online, Saves Time

Sensory Impairment

Services For People With Sensory Impairments (Adults and Children)

If you are having difficulties due to sensory problems, the Directorate, together with other organisations, may be able to help.  We offer specialist services for people who have a sensory impairment.

We’ll begin by visiting you at home to assess your needs and decide whether and how we can help.  Then, after learning about your difficulties, we’ll offer possible solutions to best meet your needs.  You can then decide if you wish to be registered with the Local Authority.  Depending upon your sensory impairment, your needs may differ.  From our assessment, we can work out together what can be done to make your life easier.

Services For Hard of Hearing People

All our services are tailored to meet your individual needs.  If you are hard of hearing you may need some equipment to assist you to communicate with others- we can advise on how to seek help with this.  We can also offer information about alternative means of communicating, such as lip reading.

If you are having difficulty hearing your doorbell, telephone or television we may be able to provide you with specialist equipment such as a flashing doorbell, amplified telephone or television amplifier.  There are also support groups for the hard of hearing.  Groups of people get together to learn from each other how to overcome similar difficulties and, manage more easily in the Community.  We can put you in touch with a support group.

Services for Deaf People

If you are a user of British Sign Language, we can put you in touch with a local Deaf club where you can meet people to communicate in sign.   We can provide you with information to enable you to obtain an Interpreting Service when you need it.  We may be able to provide you with someone to support you with communication in difficult situations such as dealing with people in shops and banks.  Whatever your hearing problems are, please get in touch with us.  This information may be made available in any other form or format upon request by contacting the Duty Officer.

Services for Visual Impairment

All our services are intended whenever possible to meet specific needs.  We have a Rehabilitation Officer who can advise and help you to live as independently and as safely as possible.  Our staff can also help you get out and about confidently using aids such as canes or walking sticks.  

Keeping you up to date about our services is one of our priorities, so you can always contact our specialist staff at the Office.  Information and advice is also available at our regular social centre meetings for people who are blind and partially sighted.

Services for Individuals with both Hearing and Visual Impairment

All our services are tailored to meet your individual needs.  We acknowledge that this is a specialist service area. We have links with organisations who can provide service according to your individual need.

Useful Advice and Equipment

There are many aids available to make your life easier, such as large print books, talking books, talking clocks and big button telephones.  Provided there is an assessed need we can help you get them.  As we work in partnership with other people who can also help you, we can put you in touch with useful groups such as 'The Guide Dog for the Blind Association' and 'Wales Council for the Blind'.  Local talking newspapers are also very useful, as they keep you in touch with events taking place in your Community.

Contact Us:

Adult Duty Officer
Keir Hardie Health Park
Aberdare Road
Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 1BZ

Telephone: 01685 725000
Emergency Out of hours: 01443 743665

Opening hours

8.30am - 5.00pm Monday - Thursday
8.30am - 4.30pm Friday


Were you looking for?