Find your nearest Household Waste and Recycling Centre
Your local Household Waste & Recycling Centre will change over to its Summer operating hours from Sunday 4th July 2021.
The sites in Dowlais and Aberfan will be open from 9.00am to 8.00pm, with the last admittance at 7.50pm.
Household Waste and Recycling Centres/Civic Amenity Sites are provided by the Council for residents to dispose of their household waste.
There are two HWRCs in the Borough located at:
- Aberfan Household Waste and Recycling Centre, Aberfan Road, Aberfan, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 4QE.
- Dowlais Household Waste and Recycling Centre, The Bont, Gellifaelog Old Road, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 3DA.
Aberfan and Dowlais are open every day for the following hours:
- 9:00 – 20:00 the last admittance to the site is 19:50
- Proof of address is needed to access the HWRCS. If you cannot provide this then you will be turned away.
The HWRCs are for household waste only, trade waste will not be accepted. It is illegal to deposit trade waste at the HWRCs and traders will be refused entry.
Due to site licencing conditions at both the Dowlais and Aberfan HWRCs no waste/recycling can be deposited outside of the site operating hours. Please ensure that when visiting the sites that you allow sufficient time to deposit your materials and leave the sites before the official closing times.
Visiting the Site
- Residents must segregate their waste as much as is practical and dispose of it in the relevant containers on site.
- Lorries or vehicles over 3.5 tonnes will not be allowed to use the sites.
- If you bring your waste to the site in a commercial type vehicle or with a trailer without a permit you will not be allowed to tip your waste.
- Residents are able to dispose of small amounts of non-recyclable waste at the sites. As far as practicable any recyclables must be separated and placed in the appropriate container for recycling.
From Wednesday 1st April 2020 we’ll be changing the way you can deposit paint products at your local Household Waste & Recycling Centres (HWRCs).
NB: While visiting the sites to deposit your waste you should be prepared to be asked to separate your waste into the appropriate containers. This may include opening any bagged waste for inspection and further sorting. You may prefer to do this at home before arriving at the site to avoid any unnecessary delays.