Online, Saves Time

In-Year Admissions or Transfers

Apply for a school place during the academic year if you need to change your child’s school

When you can apply

If your child needs to move to another school within the same year, you must apply for an ‘in-year admission’. You can do so at any time during the academic year.

Places cannot be reserved in advance. If you are moving house you can apply in advance of your move but your child must be able to take up the place within 10 days of the offer.

If you want an mid-term place to start in September we cannot consider your application until July at the earliest.

Before applying, view the school catchment areas.  

There is no guarantee that a place will be available at your preferred school

All areas of the application form should be completed, before the School Admissions Team can start to process it

In year school admissions relate to a child changing school outside of the usual transfer cycle. This page applies to admissions for mainstream schools and academies only. Applications for special schools need to be made through the Special Educational Needs department (01685 724616).

Most commonly, this will happen where the family moves house and it is no longer practical for the child or children to travel to their current school on a daily basis. The house move may be in-county (moving from one Merthyr Tydfil address to another, and one Merthyr Tydfil school to another) or the family might be moving from elsewhere into Merthyr Tydfil.

This page tells you how to apply for a school place if you need to move your child to a mainstream school in Merthyr Tydfil.

It is important to consider the following points carefully before making the decision to change your child's school.

• If your child is experiencing difficulties at their current school and you are considering moving them, it is important you contact your child's teacher for a meeting to try to resolve these issues before moving your child which should always be a last resort.

• The attainment of pupils who make in-year moves is markedly lower than their peers, and lower still among pupils who make multiple in-year moves.

• If your child is at a critical stage of their education (in year 10 or 11) it is likely that the school you wish to transfer your child to will not have the same choice of subjects as your child's current school and could be at different stages of teaching the curriculum. If this is the case, any work your child has already done towards their GCSEs may not be able to be used. This could have a seriously damaging effect on your child's exam results.

Please note that you will be responsible for transporting your child to any school you name as a preference.

If it is the school holidays and you are waiting for the result of an in year application you will need to wait until there is somebody available within the School Admissions Team who will be unable to advise you of the outcome.

For further information and advice, please contact the School Admissions Team using the 'Contact Us form at the side of this page.

Contact Us

A-Z of Services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T u V W x Y z